Monday, April 14, 2008

Lending a helping hand

How far will a person go to lend a helping hand for those in need? Well, I must say it is an individual to individual case.

Whenever people say lend a helping hand, the first thing that went through my mind is simple stuff such as helping to give a free lift, borrowing a book, or helping out at the old folks home, or lending a helping hand for the charity, be it money or ur time.

Last Saturday, after my shift, I was so happy that I can finally go back and take a rest. Suddenly at the door on my way out of the office, one of my colleague, which is my ex-uni mate, stopped me. Then I received a shocking new (although I'm really tired then and the new didn't fully register in my mind). One of our lecturer back in our uni, David Lee, is actually diagnosed with liver cancer!!

He told me that the news had been spread through email and on friendster too. Since on shift last week, I haven't really got time to check my mail. So today, I go and check my mail. Apparently it's true. I really do receive the email, asking help for a liver donor.

In my opinion, out of the few cases of lending a helping hand, I think lending people money (not those hundreds one, thousands one) and becoming a donor are the hardest for people to do. Maybe it's the culture here in Malaysia. When there is people asking for you to be a donor, most people will chicken out. I'm one of the case. I still remember during uni time, there is this Bulan sabit merah (red crescent) officer asking the students to become a donor, when they pass away. I remembered I was offered to sign on this paper and I got chicken out. I mean ya, a lot of people will give reason that when u r dead, u won't feel the pain anymore. And ur organ might actually safe a person's life. But still, I'm not ready at all for this. Even until now, I'm still not ready for it.

Although my friend say that we can actually donate 1/3 of our liver and our liver will grow back after that. It's easy to feel sympathy towards the victim, but when the real part comes, there is not many people who will have the guts to do it. So, I really salute those who become a donor. I think it's really noble of them.

I know it's bullshit for me writing this post since I won't even consider becoming a donor. But still, I would like to call on those outside who are willing to help our lecturer. David Lee is a very very nice person. His lecture is actually one of those lecture that I'm happy to attend. And whenever you see him, you can always spot a smile on his face.

Here is a photo of David Lee, which was taken in 2004. The guy wearing black T-shirt with a smile on his face.

So, for those of you who would like to find out more about this, find out from HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must thаnκ you for thе efforts you've put in penning this blog. I'm hopіng to view the same high-grade content by you lateг on аѕ
well. In truth, your crеatiνe writing аbilities has inspired
me to get my own blog now ;)
Also visit my web blog ; I Got Him Back