Wednesday, September 10, 2008

CC2 - Choosing the right attire

WHO LIKES SHOPPING? AHA! So my theory is proven, girls love shopping more than guys! I think it is in our hormone. I personally love shopping a lot. However, equip with the desire for shopping doesn’t mean that you know how to choose an outfit that suits your body shape and flatters your figure.

What I’m going to share with you all here today is “how to choose the right attire”. How many of you here experience impulse purchase? You buy at the spur of moment however you don’t need that dress or it totally doesn’t suit you? Let me assure you, everybody is bound to make this mistake during their entire life. I’m not spare too. I remember during an outing at my uni time, I wore this long jean skirt until my ankle, thinking that it makes me look feminine as I seldom wore skirt that time. But how wrong was I when one of my girl friends asked innocently, “Did you borrow that skirt from your mum?” I was devastated. And for that day until now, I never wear any long skirt, never ever again.

To avoid making the same mistake as I did, there are a few criteria that need to take into consideration when you shop for attire. First, it’s your body shape. For petite girls, it’s advisable not to wear clothes with horizontal stripes as it gives the image of an even shorter frame and wear some heels on the shoes to add in a little “oomph” to the height. For those with pear shape body, it is best to avoid attracting attention to your hip. Besides that, avoids those jackets or blouses that sit right on your waist. For rounder body figure, it’s more flattering to wear dark tone outfit. Avoids tops with higher neckline which will make you looks broader at your upper body part. Instead, focus on the legs. Wear clothes that show off the lean legs. Let me give you an example, take me as the model, when I go shopping looking for a skirt, I’ll definitely not choose one that is longer than my knee length. It’s either knee length or shorter. Why? Because if I do so, I’ll look even shorter than now, which is not flattering for my body shape.

The second point to consider when you go shopping is your skin colour, or skin tone. Different people have different skin tone, that’s why there are so many different colours available for the same design clothes. This is to cater for all the needs. Skin tone can be categorized into 2 parts, namely cool tone and warm tone. For cool tone people, their skin is pale or fair. The colours that flatter this skin tone people are intense rich colours such as black, navy blues and soft neutral colours such as pale yellow or baby blue. The colours to avoid are earth tones like light brown and gold. For people who fall into the category of warm tone, rich warm colours such as gold, golden brown, orange and dark brown make them stand out. However, they should avoid colours such as black and white. Again, take me for an example, intense dark colour such as navy blue or dark green suits my skin tone.

Third thing to consider is actually your face shape. The simple rule here is “opposite attracts”. For those with round or square face, one should elongate the face by deep and plunging neckline, such as V-neck and empire neckline shirt. Second tip is to never cover your neck. Long face has the opposite need of the round face. Thus, for long face can focus on Sabrina or portrait neckline to make the face appear wider and oval. For those with triangle or diamond face shape, you can go for scoop or deep Sabrina neckline blouse to balance the sharp feature. For me, V-neck and empire neckline tops are the one the suit me.

So, you can see that choosing the right attire for yourself is not about getting the latest fashion available and dump it on your body. There are a lot of other factors that need to take into consideration such as body shape, skin tone and face shape. So, do not become a fashion victim. Instead, choose the right attire that matches and flatters you the most. Don’t be scare to try and error. As time passed, you will be able to wear out something that is totally your own sense.